Ethics: Church to Lose Funding Over Homosexual Adoption

Post image for Ethics: Church to Lose Funding Over Homosexual Adoption

What would you do Wednesday!

The New York Times reported that Roman Catholic charities in Illinois must comply with a new requirement to “consider same-sex couples as potential foster-care and adoptive parents if they want to receive state money.”1 Catholic bishops claim that these requirements infringe on freedom of religion. Catholic charities in other cities have closed their adoption services rather than comply with the new requirements. The article also states that five Catholic Charities in Illinois get 60 – 92% of their revenue from the state.

For today’s scenario, let’s move the above situation to your local church.

Your church has been providing adoptive services for the community and surrounding areas for 20 years. State legislation was just passed requiring your church adoption services to consider homosexual couples as potential adoptive parents or foster parents. If this new requirement to consider homosexual couples is not met, state funding will be cut-off.

State funding makes up 60% of the adoption services revenue while the other 40% comes from donations from various outside sources. You have only been on the board of directors for a year. Yet,  you must consider all of the options on what’s best for serving the community while not compromising your Christian beliefs.

What would you do?

  • Comply and take the money because it’s needed and we shouldn’t judge anyway.
  • Comply and take the money for now, but slowly ween the charity from state funding.
  • Don’t comply and just shut down the charity.
  • Don’t comply and trust God to continue providing.
  • Don’t comply, stand on your beliefs and fight on the basis of freedom of religion.
  • Move the charity underground and offer black market adoptions.

_________________________

  1. Laurie Goodstein. Bishops Say Rules on Gay Parents Limit Freedom of Religion. The New York Times, December 28, 2011
Let's connect!

tagged as , in Church Issues,Culture

{ 4 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Rhology January 11, 2012 at 10:48 am

Don’t comply and trust God to continue providing.
OR
Don’t comply, stand on your beliefs and fight on the basis of freedom of religion.

2 Chris Coppenbarger January 11, 2012 at 11:06 am

Don’t comply and trust God to continue providing.
Don’t comply, stand on your beliefs and fight on the basis of freedom of religion.

This is just another example of why state funding tends to be wrong anyway. If the government is giving you money, they can and will tell you what to do with it.

Something else to think about that is often brought up by gay adoption advocates. What about singles who wish to adopt? We say that children are best brought up by a mother and a father. Thoughts to ponder.

3 BDW January 11, 2012 at 11:33 am

Chris makes a good point about state funding.

If you took the government’s money, you should play by the government’s rules.

I think it’s interesting that Al Mohler and others like to point to Europe as an example of secularization on display. These observers like to make the argument that what happens in Europe, specifically the UK, can and will happen in the United States. However, these observers rarely if ever also observe that churches in the UK are heavily dependent on the state for the funding of their schools and ministries.

I don’t want to see such secularization in the United States. Maybe the way to fend off such secularization is to practice a form of church-state separation that eschews government funding of the social ministries of religious organizations.

When over half of your budget is government funding, that’s a real problem. And 92%? That’s not right. That’s practically a state adoption agency if the state is giving 92%.

4 Dan Smith January 11, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I agree with pretty much everyone above. If you’re going to take state money, play by the state’s rules. Why are Christian organizations getting money from the state anyway? To do that means that the organization stopped believing God could provide long ago. Get off the state nipple ASAP and get some faith.

.

Previous post:

Next post: